Hip hop artists Swings and Bumkey, both Brand New Music artists, have been selected as the “HIPHOPPLAYA Awards 2013” Artist of the Year and R&B Artist of the Year, respectively.
HIPHOPPLAYA is an online hip hop community site supported by hip hop enthusiasts and has played a pivotal role in the development of the Korean hip hop scene for a long time. Unlike regular award ceremonies, the “HIPHOPPLAYA Awards” differentiates itself by handing over judging authority over to hardcore music fans.
Swings took home 41.76% of the vote in the Artist of the Year category, crushing his competition in the form of Beenzino (16.99%) and Paloalto (16.20%). His album “Swings #1 Mixtape Vol. 2” came in second place in the Album of the Year category, while the single “Bulldozer” was also in second place in the Single of the Year category. “Hwang Jungmin” took home first and third place in the Verse of the Year category, so it looks like Swings had the last laugh in the “Control” diss battle of 2013.
The title of R&B Artist of the Year went to Bumkey (33.89% of the votes), who had two major hits last year in the form of “Bad Girl” and “Attraction” and is currently preparing for a debut as the main vocalist for Troy, a hip hop group by Brand New Music.
Brand New Music revealed, “The two artists are truly thankful to have received the wholehearted support of true hip hop fans at these awards. We will continue to respect their individual color and individuality and work hard to repay fans with better music.”
Two other notable artists of 2013 were Crush, who took home Rookie of the Year, Featuring of the Year and Collaboration of the Year, and Beenzino, whose “Dali, Van, Picasso” has drawn praise as well as criticism for alleged plagiarism.
Full List of Winners
- Artist of the Year: Swings
- Rookie of the Year: Crush
- Featuring of the Year: Crush
- Album of the Year: “Hi-Life” by Hi-Lite Records
- Producer of the Year: Nochang
- DJ of the Year: DJ Wegun
- Single of the Year: “Dali, Van, Picasso” by Beenzino
- Music Video of the Year: “Bullhandanga” by Bullhandanga
- R&B Artist of the Year: Bumkey
- Collaboration of the Year: “Feel So Young” by Ugly Duck, Zico and Crush
- Mixtape of the Year: “Drawing #2: Better Man” by Crucial Star
- Concert of the Year: HIPHOPPLAYA Show 2013
- Album Cover of the Year: “Dali, Van, Picasso” by Beenzino
- Verse of the Year: “Hwang Jungmin” by Swings
- Label of the Year: Hi-Lite Records
- Fashion Style of the Year: Beenzino
- Rising Star of Next Year: BlackNut
For a more extensive list of winners and nominees, please click here!