Mnet to Come Up with a New Music Drama as Follow-up to “Monstar”


Music channel Mnet is looking towards coming up with a new music drama within the year. According to a news report, Mnet is already planning the follow-up to their first successful attempt at a music drama, 2013’s Monstar.” 

The yet-untitled 2014 Mnet music drama is said to be about the stories of young people who have a passionate love of music, their growth, friendship and love lives.

The drama is already attracting attention for the people behind the scenes. Producers and writers from the  production teams of reality and music shows are coming together to produce a drama. Director Kim Yong Bum of “Super Star K” and “Dancing 9” takes the helm, while “Real Men” and “Music Bank” writer Shin Myung Jin joins forces with Jung Su Hyun of “Non-Stop” and “Apgujeong Diary” to produce the script. This collaboration of the director and writers with background in survival reality, music and sitcom programs creates anticipation for the possible birth of a new genre hit for Mnet.

In another exciting development, the 2014 Mnet music drama project is launching an open recruitment to cast some of the main roles. Thirteen to 33-year-old budding artists (born from January 1, 1981 to May 31, 1998), regardless of gender and build, as long as they have singing and acting talent, may try for the roles available at the open casting call.

To apply, aspiring artists may send in a two-minute video (not more than 200mb) of their singing and acting sample, along with an introduction of name, gender and contact details to [email protected] Alternatively, they may also upload directly to the 2014 Mnet Music Drama performer recruitment page under the heading Mnet Star. This is open to the public for one month, beginning September 1 and ending September 30, 2014.

Director Kim Yong Bum said, “I’m taking over the challenge of what ‘Monstar’ did last year. I will showcase the music  beyond the traditional drama to create a well-made music drama.”