Are You A Highly Sensitive Person (hsp)?

Guest chocopie

Guest chocopie

-editted 24th july-
During my childhood years, I've been called too sensitive many times. I know I've always been different in that I find it hard to socialize and would be quick to notice expressions and emotions from others and sometimes take it too hard. Furthermore do not fit into the culture and tradition of the town & family that I was brought up in and there'r a lot of debates going on in my head then, as i felt that i fit in nowhere. It made it worst when both of my sisters are the complete opposites of me. I became somewhat rebellious and fell into depression as there're just too many signs from everywhere and thoughts too complicated to decipher.

Okay, how many people out there are highly sensitive?and in what ways?

If you grew up as a very sensitive child, how did you cope?

If not, when did you start being a HSP? What events trigger that change?

Who among you have been friends with a sensitive person? How do you feel; does it bother you?

Editted 24th July:

HSC/P is a term coined by a Dr. Aron in 1996. This article would explain more.

"Inside the Highly Sensitive Child :-

Let's go farther inside the mind of your HSC. Yes, he notices more, but he may have a "specialty." Some tune in to social cues, mainly noticing moods, expressions, or relationships. Some HSCs mainly notice the natural world, such as changes in the weather or the qualities of plants, or they seem to have an uncanny ability to communicate with animals. Some express subtle concepts, or the humorous and ironic. And some are mainly vigilant in new surroundings while others are mainly bothered by a change in the familiar. Still, in all cases, they are noticing more.

Your HSC is also thinking more than other kids about what she has noticed. Again, there is always variation. She may be pondering and asking you questions about social dilemmas-why you did what you did, why one kid teased another-or larger social issues. Another HSC might be trying to solve difficult math or logic puzzles, or worrying about "what would happen if," or making up stories or imagining their cat's thoughts. All kids do these things, but HSCs do them more.

The HSCs' reflecting on "what's come in," particularly whatever they have seen or heard, may be quite conscious and obvious, as when they ask for more time to decide something. (You have probably noticed that trying to get an HSC to decide quickly is like trying to walk a male dog quickly past fire hydrants.) But often HSCs' processing is entirely unconscious, as when they just intuitively sense what is going on with you. Indeed, intuition might be defined as knowing something without knowing how you know it, and sensitive people are generally highly intuitive.

The processing may be rapid, as when a child instantly knows "something's up" or "you changed my sheets" when other children would not notice. Or it may be slow, as when HSCs think about something for hours, then announce some startling insight.

Finally, as a result of taking in more and processing it more completely, if the situation is creating an emotional response (and all situations do to some extent), your HSC is going to feel stronger emotions. Sometimes it's intense love, awe, or joy. But because all children are dealing with new, stressful situations every day, HSCs will also have to feel fear, anger, and sadness, and feel these more intensely than other children.

Because of these strong feelings and deep thoughts, most HSCs are unusually empathic. So they suffer more when others suffer and become interested early in social justice. They are also brilliant interpreters of what is happening in anything or anyone that cannot speak-plants, animals, organs in bodies, babies, those not speaking the sensitive person's language, and the very elderly when they suffer from dementia. They tend to have rich inner lives. And again, HSCs are conscientious for their age-they can imagine for themselves or understand when you say "what if everybody did that." They also tend to seek the meaning of their lives very early.

Mind you, HSCs are not saints. In particular, with a few bad experiences, they are more likely than others to become shy, fearful, or depressed. But with a little gentle guidance, they are exceptionally creative, cooperative, and kind-except when overwhelmed. And whatever they are doing-or not doing-HSCs do stand out, even though they are not "problems" in the usual sense. "

I've been known to be very sensitive growing up. Whenever someone yelled at me or something I'd immediately would start to tear up. Or just at very little things I would tear up, like seeing someone whose totally unrelated to me or someone I don't even know cry, I'd just start to tear up with them.lol.

Growing up I coped with it by distracting myself. Whenever there's a time when I know I'd end up getting teary, I'd always try to distract myself by looking around or think about something else or just trying to walk away from the situation. As I grew up I hate crying in front of people, it's one thing that I hate doing the most and yet it's something that I can't control, my tears. I always wish I didn't cry so easily. Especially when I'm watching sad movies, I cry easily just watching a semi sad part, lol, so that's why I tend to watch movies by myself so that I can cry all I want without having someone notice.lol..

Guest xxiaoMEI

Lol I kinda am..

When I was small, I would cry over the littlest things, if my brothers teased me, I would cry. I'm just the type of person that can cry really easily haha. But I wish I wasnt, cause I remembered when I was younger, my brothers would take it against me and say like "She's only crying because she wants something and when she cries she gets it" and thats so not true =_=, plus what they say makes me cry even harder, lmao.

ANYWAYS, I dont cry as easily anymore, me and my bros are good now LOL but yeah, I still cry when I watch sad movies and stuff o_o Even if its not that sad, I tear up xD I dont think it really effects me in my daily life...its not a big deal, I mean, everyones sensitive in a way, and I think people will understand :D

Guest Daylightful

D'aw~! I'm sorry about that.. I don't think it's bad being sensitive! Especially about other people! But if you feel too much about it, maybe calming down helps. Take a few deep breaths, and get your thoughts gathered.

As for being sensitive personally, I cry when sad things happen to other people. I cry even in little kid movies--(Monsters Inc gets me every time..!!) I don't think it's bad, although I do hide it around people. It wasn't because I was embarrassed or anything, but more as because I'm always helping people, I don't want to feel as if they need to help me in a sense or repay me. Besides, to me most of the people I talk to are too busy worrying about themselves and need help for themselves, so I rather help them then to have them around me. I don't think it's bad at all, although I think I should try and open up to people more about myself. :P

My advice to you is to feel free to express yourself in any way, whether it's tears or not. I know a friend of mine, and she's EXTREMELY sensitive. She'll grab a random person and just rants and cries for hours about the smallest things. She has low self-esteem too. How I cope with it is I listen to her, let her rant, and hug her when she needs to cry--. I tell her it's okay, and that she aren't the things she thinks she is. She feels because she's always crying people don't like her. So I think she may relate to you in a sense, but she feels a lot happier now. She just graduated from high school. So how old are you? Maybe once you get into a different environment (like college) you'll be able to cope with things better or feel better and or more at peace. but good luck to you! -Huggles.-

Guest Meenuh

Okay, how many people out there are highly sensitive?and in what ways?

I am extremely sensitive. I used to cry a lot growing up when people yelled at me. It was like a natural reaction and i'd be angry at the same time.

If you grew up as a very sensitive child, how did you cope?

Eh.. I kinda didn't. I just became a very angry child. I got into a lot of trouble and dealt with it through anger but i'm slowly still learning how to control it.

If not, when did you start being a HSP? What events trigger that change?

I was always this way... I think the main thing was when I began seeing how much disappointment I caused to my parents and my current bf.

Who among you have been friends with a sensitive person? How do you feel; does it bother you?

I don't know anyone else like me.

Someone wants to talk about sex? I'm not going to object.

Someone wants to talk about gay marriage? Go ahead.

Someone wants to talk about blowing the mall up? Uh...hmm let me think about that for a sec.

Actually, I'm not really sure what it means to be sensitive in the context of the thread.

I can understand the "sense others' emotions and take it too hard" but then you've lost me when you said "I don't fit into culture and tradition in the society I live in"

What's so great about conformity? Are you supposed to think and act like everyone else? I don't think that's being sensitive.

yeah...im kinda really sensitive too...the tiny things can make me cry...for a long time...just yesterday, and a few days ago...I was listening to I'll be there...and then i started crying non stop...and whenever there was "whenever you need me, I'll be there".......more tears came down.....

Guest _ATELIER

^ aw.

i cried when i saw mj's daughter during his memorial service.

i'm not an overly sensitive person, although i do cry when things revolve around families, kids and parents.

Guest <3StrawberryPocky<3

I think I'm just very emotional and sensitive. Lol. I cry if I'm told something I don't want to hear....sometimes I just burst out crying for no reason. I cried today because I was frustrated, and I cried even more because my sister-in-law's dog cuddled with me until I stopped sobbing. I cry during sad movies or dramas. I cried when I went to a volunteer warehouse to pack food for the homeless where I saw homeless people which was probably seen as rude, but I hate how I couldn't do more for people struggling to get food. But then....sometimes I'm so darn cold hearted. Haha...

Guest papasmurf

nope, not at all even though people think so, but in reality i am just an A-hole/blunt. So i will say whatever is on my mind even though it sounds mean.

Guest AMIbunny

I have always been somewhat sensitive. When a teacher kind of yelled at me in middle school (for saying "ummm.." he hates it) I felt really embarassed and i wanted to cry lol. But i didn't. Back then, I could control my crying in front of others.

However, now, I am very sensitive to my boyfriend.....even though we have been together for almost 2 years, his little insensitive/ inconsiderate moments may hit me too hard....

and sometimes his friends tease me and i get upset too...

I cry in front of them >_< Its so embarassing but I can't help the feeling....

I am sensitive.

I used to be so emotional growing up....I cried all the time.

But then....teenage years. Oh the wonders they do...

I became more emo than sensitive,,,

and now, I'm just like bleh...

I don't waste my time crying anymore...

What I love to do is, release pent up anger && stress by watching a good sad movie/drama and cry.

Guest riisah

O man I am way too sensitive. I hate it. I cry all the time but its always involuntary and I hate it. Just about too much of any emotion makes me cry, and especially when I'm angry and I start to cry, does it get really annoying. It gets in the way when I want to confront people too, because I like to solve problems by just confronting and talking it out, but I inevitably cry because of it and it really pisses me off!

Then when little things irritate me and I know its silly to be annoyed, I still cry and so everyone around me thinks I'm either making a big thing about something little or fawn over me non stop - both things I hate also.

It really sucksss. The only thing about it thats a plus is that I am really empathetic and I find that people come to me with their problems a lot and think I'm a good listener and can understand them really well.

I cry for just about anything x.x

I'm considered a pretty "hardworking" person, so I get compliments a lot, but when someone criticizes me, I tear up, even if I don't want to. But that's only if the person criticizing me is not family :P

Guest clouds4ME

I definitely am.

I cry really easily and over think alot of things that are expressed as

casual thoughts.. haha.

Guest lil_aphrodite91

When I was little, I used to cry for stupid reasons, like from little teases or lies.

I was so sensitive--a cry baby as my sister would say.

I don't really cry anymore though, except for sad movies that I watch alone. The reason for it is that I don't want people to think I'm weak. Crying is also a waste of time where nothing can be solved through it.

I'd still get offended or upset by some of the things people say or show through their expressions.

I don't let them know about it and built the anger inside--very unhealthy, but I would get over it.

I guess that's not really a good kind of sensitive, but still.

I read the article. It's rather interesting, but I'm probably on the opposite end of the spectrum: highly-insensitive. Dull.

I don't pick up mood changes.

I do question why people do the things they do (social norms, for example), but not "why did you help him?" or stuff like that.

Overall I'm pretty dull to the natural world.

Guest Meenuh

I read the article. It's rather interesting, but I'm probably on the opposite end of the spectrum: highly-insensitive. Dull.

I don't pick up mood changes.

I do question why people do the things they do (social norms, for example), but not "why did you help him?" or stuff like that.

Overall I'm pretty dull to the natural world.

Lol. I read the article as well and it cleared it up for me but it still fits me. I just thought I was a highly intuitive. Maybe that would have saved the confusion of people thinking sensitive=emotional/cries easily.

Archived