itchy legs

Guest r/-inbow

Guest r/-inbow
when running
Ah well tomorrow i have to run the mile for school =[ my problem is that whenever i run for a period of time, my legs would get really really itchy. I'm pretty sure i'm not allergic to the stuff i'm wearing because my legs only itches when i beginn to run fast o_o It's not serious so i dont need to see a doctor or anything XD has this ever happen to anyone?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest remorse_angel

Maybe you're allergic to freshly cut grass? I don't know. Usually when my legs itch, it stops itching when I run because I am so focused on running.

Guest I AM MOJO JOJO

that happens to me too

it happened to me when i was wearing sweat pant or shorts..

sooooo tell me what your doctor tells you!! ^^

i feel like a free loader... sorta.. ^^;;

MY GOSH !! ME TOO!!

Not only legs!! Also arms, ,stomach, everywhere that produces sweat !!

That's one of the reasons why I hate sports !

My advice, dont wear shorts, wear those long sweatpants or training pants, pants that are made of cotton.

The pants absorb the sweat, your legs wont feel very itchy anymore

My advice, dont wear shorts, wear those long sweatpants or training pants, pants that are made of cotton.

The pants absorb the sweat, your legs wont feel very itchy anymore

This is exactly why I wouldn't recommend cotton sweatpants - they absorb sweat and they're heavy. Better to wear something lightweight when you're expecting to sweat a lot.

Causes of itchiness when running (by a doctor on a marathon website)

Humidity. When the top layer of the skin becomes dehydrated because of water loss to very dry air it becomes brittle and allows minor irritants such as soap to penetrate, causing mild inflammation and itching. With increasing age, the skin becomes dry, and this type of itching is common. Treatment involves the use of moisturizing creams. Conversely, sweat retention in very humid air may also cause itching. In this case, drying agents such as talc may be used.

Particulate matter. Hair, coarse dust and other small particles can irritate the skin and cause pruritis. Shaving may be one option, but as hair grows back it will cause even worse pruritis.

Contact dermatitis. Pruritis that arises after the use of new soaps or laundry detergents is a tip-off. Stop using the offending product and this should stop the itch.

What then of Brent's case? I suspect that Brent's doctor is right. Loose clothing moving over the skin causes body hair to rub on the affected areas at the beginning of his workout. As the workout proceeds, the blood vessels of the skin constrict and sweat mats down the hair so that the sensation abates. Tight clothing doesn't allow for movement of the hair, and in the pool the areas are exposed, so that is why symptoms do not occur.

I have two suggestions to help alleviate this uncomfortable state of affairs:

1. Wear tight-fitting clothing for all these workouts

2. Apply a water-based gel or product such as Body Glide to the problem areas. This will mat down the hair and allow loose clothing to slide over the areas without causing any friction. I suspect that this will help immeasurably.

There you go.

Guest pokeymochi

OMG same thing happened to me!!

um i figured it's either the pe shorts or the environment (we used to run by like plants and stuff)

Guest min_ae

ugh i know exactly what you're talking about. and when you run harder, it itches even more. i always figured it's from when your foot hits the ground and it sends like a shock up your leg. i don't know what i'm talking about. hahaha.

Archived