Shopping In Vietnam

Guest sushi09

Guest sushi09

Share your shopping experiences in Vietnam
Hi everyone :D

This is my first post sorry if i screw up or anything. (Hope I post this is in the right section.)

I hope this tread will help me and everyone about info's on stores, items, address, directions for shopping places almost every city/districts/towns in Vietnam.

I'll be going to Vietnam this summer 2009 and hopefully spend most of my time in HCM (I live about 5-6 hours away from HCM).

I know HCM has everything but basically i'm looking for items that is imported from Korea and Japan. Like music albums, posters, bentou, etc. And also fashion :D

So far I have look up this place online for Japanese related items:

http://www.hachihachi.com.vn/vn/

I pass by this place when I was on my way to the airport and couldn't stop there because I was running a little late to the airport. xD

Post up your favorite shopping places. :D

:EDIT:

This is a friendly forum, please don't be disrespectful to soompiers in this forum and the Vietnamese culture.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TaroBread

wow! awesome!! im also visiting vietnam this summer and im having the same thoughts as you! *-*

the thing im most worried about is being ripped off cuz my vietnamese skills aren't too good. x_X;;

Guest sushi09

wow! awesome!! im also visiting vietnam this summer and im having the same thoughts as you! *-*

the thing im most worried about is being ripped off cuz my vietnamese skills aren't too good. x_X;;

Lol most of the time I go with my cousins and she's always telling the seller to reduce the price. But when the seller says no we just walk off and the seller will tell us to come back and sells the price we wanted xD

I recommend you go with your relatives/friends in Vietnam who knows how to bargain.

• 4 weeks later...

Lol most of the time I go with my cousins and she's always telling the seller to reduce the price. But when the seller says no we just walk off and the seller will tell us to come back and sells the price we wanted xD

I recommend you go with your relatives/friends in Vietnam who knows how to bargain.

Yep, definitely go with a relative or friend who can bargain. Also make sure never to speak to them. As weird as it sounds, they can tell if you're from VN or outside. The moment they hear your accent, they will jack up the prices. Also, shopping in Quan 1 is kind of expensive. Quan 1 is mostly name brands and tourist traps.

Guest NEYUGN93

Agree. Go with your relative or friend to bargain. They'll rip you off if you're from outside of VN

Mmmm.. sorry, I can't help with some shopping malls =/

I had trouble finding Japanese, Korean imports and ended up with nothing T.T

and cousins aren't interested in K/J/C music which means they don't know any places *pouts*

Guest Jentage

i HATED Vietnam..went there in february..oh my dear lord :( What is there to shop in Vietnam though? Cheap food. That's about it.. The malls are kinda tacky...I seen a Louis Vuitton and Gucci store..rofl.. no one goes in there. So empty.

Guest Melitus

i HATED Vietnam..went there in february..oh my dear lord :( What is there to shop in Vietnam though? Cheap food. That's about it.. The malls are kinda tacky...I seen a Louis Vuitton and Gucci store..rofl.. no one goes in there. So empty.

I guess for people that's not materialistic should have way more fun. I went to coffee shop with my "cousins" which was all girls, and it was great. they brought me to a fancy coffee shop surrounded by a moat of water. Diamond plaza was great too, not much clothes for guys but overall it's an expierence. The hots boys and girls goes out at night, in karaoke, coffee shop.

Guest sushi09

wonder bang: that's true the will "jacked" up the prices once they hear or look at you.

Melitus: I love going to coffee shops with my friends. IMO, that's the best place to hang out, relax and have fun with friends :D At night it seems to be way fun because of the lights and people out in the streets.

Guest Nynna

I'm going start my trip to Vietnam during the summer at Saigon/Ho Chi Minh. Anyone know good stores at the Diamond Plaza?

Guest Juuun

I tell you, no better place in Vietnam for shopping than Hanoi's Old Quarter. You will find many stores who sells Korean/ Japanese/ Chinese/ Thai -imported clothes. I'm not talking about boring clothing stalls, but really fashionable stores. The Old Quarter is compact and very diversed in term of shopping, so I highly recommand you that place.

for example

486111357_b7daccdb24_o.jpg

Guest angels.disguise

Diamond Plaza in Saigon - everything is overpriced. might as well buy the same stuff here for a more reasonable price. the only thing good about it is the 4th floor where theres a bunch of games.

Night Shopping (Cho Dem) - Haggle as much as you can. You'll find some really cute things there. Night shopping is usually during Friday - Sunday with a bunch of people opening stalls in some areas of vn. If they say no to your price, turn away & pretend that your leaving, they will definitely call you you back.

For the department stores in North Vietnam - ehh its okay. you'll see alot of people in these malls because they have airconditioning & not because they actually are buying anything. they dont allow you bring in your purses so they have lockers for that. As for prices & products, pretty reasonable. I found BB cream & such things there.

Regular stores out in the streets - There is no haggling allowed. Quality sucks & everything pretty much looks the same. If you want to go for quality, look for stores that are a bit more expensive & AIR CONDITIONED.

Salespeople - Most are rude. If you leave without buying anything & just look, they get meaner. They also follow you everywhere making sure you dont steal anything. I rarely found any salespeople that were friendly.

Other notes - Always go with someone who can speak good viet. Some of the beggers are not even beggers. Don't eat anything that hasnt been cooked. They do have A&F, Hollister, etc. in SAIGON. If you are going there, I suggest you go to a coffee place. They make reallyyyy good coffee

Guest Swtess

My one suggestion is to never act intimidated. They'll take advantage that you're viet kieu. Don't feel embarassed or weirded out when you're haggling the prices. They get it all the time so no biggy, everyone does it.

In shopping malls or whatever you want to call it, if you have someone following your around, don't be shy to ask her to get you something. lol My bf taught me that. They have one of the best jobs to be in an air conditioned place. It doesn't really matter if you're not gonna buy anything since the most they can do is badmouth you when you're gone. If you happen to catch it then you can make her day the worst ever. lol

Those are all the things my bf has been telling me eversince his trip back from VN.

Where exactly can I get bb cream in VN? I'm gonna be visiting in the summer and I want to have some heads up on the places. I'll be starting out in the North and will make way down south to visit families.

Guest random_girl

hey guys !

like my friend is currently in vn right now, thinking wat i should get LOL !!!

but u guys know where they sell like nike air forces ? coz some of the nike air forces are made from vn . prety cool ! =D

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sushi09

hey guys !

like my friend is currently in vn right now, thinking wat i should get LOL !!!

but u guys know where they sell like nike air forces ? coz some of the nike air forces are made from vn . prety cool ! =D

thanks

I think there is a shopping center next to Tan Son Nhat airport the SuperBowl. I remember they have adidas and nikes.

Guest Tone

the only cool stuff i bought over there was a bug zapper lol. it broke on the way back to america though :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sushi09

I got myself into cosplay. Do you know in Vietnam they have some cosplay costumes?

I was looking up some answers on answers.yahoo.com.vn and saw in TP.HCM they have this shop name Shop For Otaku or http://www.shop4otaku.com

Guest thanhthuyqt

It is really difficult to buy real LV or Gucci items in Vn if U donnot know to indentify the real or fake one. If u want to buy famous brand name, u should go to Malaysia or China. U will find a lot famous brands there, and there are also more options. However, there are many beautiful souvenirs in Vietnam such as necklet, earings, and many other tiny things. I recommend u to go to Old Quarter which is near Sword Lake. It is the center of Hanoi. The souvenirs are really cheap there if u are good bargainer. I think u should have local guy to go with u because seller won't reduce price easily for foreigners.

Guest shinhdeplol

lol if you're a teenager and you wanna shop for fashion stuffs with low prices, then Vietnam is your heaven hahaha. there're some places i wanna recommend, if you go to Hanoi

Nui Truc Street (visit Shark shops, Streetz, Plus, Tiptop...there) those shops are AWWWEESOMMMEE. they sell mainly hiphop and street style clothes :) clothes for gals are available there too

Doi Can Street (i recommend Boo Skate Shop, Ebay Girl Shop, Ebay Boy Shop,... there) lol you can stroll along that street and buy stuffs. they have many things there. that's my fav place for stuffs and shirts :w00t::wub:

Guest amyoii

I'm going to Viet Nam next month. Does anyone know any good hair salon & shopping mall/clothing store in Sai Gon/Ho Chi Minh city?? thanks in advance!!

Archived