DON'T YOU JUST LOL WHEN SOMEONE IS RACIST AND CHRISTIAN?

Crunchyrunchy

Not only being a Christian but being affiliated with religions such as Buddhism or Catholicism.

Many religions have doctrines that go against racism so wouldn't being a racist repudiate the core beliefs of that religion?

A racist Christian or a racist Buddhist is an oxymoron to me. Is it to you? How can someone be considered a Christian or a Buddhist themselves when they are racist?

Guest LittlePinky82

I don't know enough about Buddhism honestly to be judgmental. But with Christianity as one myself the greatest commandment from Jesus is to love your neighbor as yourself. So, if you're racist against a fellow man it's also hurting you. Your spirit is what's important and just who you are as an individual. 

I don't know enough about Buddhism honestly to be judgmental. But with Christianity as one myself the greatest commandment from Jesus is to love your neighbor as yourself. So, if you're racist against a fellow man it's also hurting you. Your spirit is what's important and just who you are as an individual. 

exactly. :)

Guest LittlePinky82

Honestly racism is just a foreign concept to me. I just don't understand it. I see it around living in the south here in the US and just have never got any of it. Especially from religious people who are supposed to be about peace and love. I can understand stereotypes to a point but just out right racism it's just one of those difficult things to understand I guess to myself. It's skin. It doesn't define who someone is....Or it shouldn't anyways. 

Guest HyoyeonFan27

I hate rascist people, but not christians. I'm christian and not all of us are like the stereotype. Maybe about 10% of us, but I do admit that we are very judgemental, but think about it this way. Our whole human race is judgemental, so you can't just say one religion is.

I hate rascist people, but not christians. I'm christian and not all of us are like the stereotype. Maybe about 10% of us, but I do admit that we are very judgemental, but think about it this way. Our whole human race is judgemental, so you can't just say one religion is.

I think you should reread the OP. If you don't understand I will rewrite it.

I am saying that racist Christian are an oxymoron. They are just contradicting themselves on their belief and their main religion.  

Guest HyoyeonFan27

I think you should reread the OP. If you don't understand I will rewrite it.

I am saying that racist Christian are an oxymoron. They are just contradicting themselves on their belief and their main religion.  

Oh! Sorry about that :sweatingbullets: . I agree.

Guest Stevent

That's why I don't bother with religion. People just find it easier to understand the things around them with religion. But if I had to identify myself with a religion, it'll probably be none since some people don't classify Buddhism as a religion, but more as a philosophy.

Guest fred2265

I certainly don't LOL, racism is just ignorant whether from Christians or anyone else. While I know many christians who are not racist, hardly any of them don't have biasses against those from other faiths (and those of us with no religion), and I think this sort of intolerance is one of the foundations of racist behaviour.

Prejudice isn't so cut and dry. It's a common phrase that "racism is rooted in ignorance" - very seldom does someone consciously commit to being racist simply for the sake of being racist. In fact, you and I and everyone on this planet are all very inclined to be discriminatory without being aware of it. We subconsciously think about patterns a lot, so when several persons of one particular group (race, gender, age, anything) are rude to us or display some aberrant behavior, we group them together even though that is racist, sexist, or discriminatory. If someone isn't self aware, they can easily act on their prejudices and do or say racist things while believing that they are not racist.

To me, growing up in the deep South of the US, Christianity and to a wider extent religion has always expressed racism. Most bigots I have ever met have been devoutly religious. The funny thing about the Bible and other scriptures is that you can cherry pick exerts from them that will support pretty much anything you want to say, including racism, sexism, homophobia, or the exact opposite. I don't believe that it's a contradiction to be a racist or a sexist Christian, because that is exactly what many congregations of Christians espouse as part of their religion. Nowadays the vast majority of Christians may not buy into it, but as part of the same token they also refuse to acknowledge that this is, in fact, a thing. See: this thread.

Guest Christinaisweird

To use religion as a reasoning for your ways of thinking and seeing others is just inexcusable.

Besides why would there be racist buddhists, if anything they are the only religion that does not condemn against homophobia because there is not mentioning of that versus the koran, scriptures, bible.

Guest hiswendy

I agree. You're not adhering to Christian beliefs if you are racist or believe extremist, narrow-minded ideals that ultimately hurt your neighbors.

On a side note: I hate it when people stereotype that a person is a backward-thinker just because he/she may be Christian and is automatically racist or an extremist. I've been with a Zoroastrian. My entire family and I embraced him. His father consistently requested that he not see me or to just fully break up with me. (In the end, his dad won but that's a different point altogether.) I think I'm just trying to say that Christians or Catholics always get such a bad rep for racism and that kind of thing, when in truth racism, prejudice, discrimination are present in all peoples, not just this particular community. Anyone can be a victim or a perpetrator of racism.

Guest rachilde

Not only being a Christian but being affiliated with religions such as Buddhism or Catholicism.

Many religions have doctrines that go against racism so wouldn't being a racist repudiate the core beliefs of that religion?

A racist Christian or a racist Buddhist is an oxymoron to me. Is it to you? How can someone be considered a Christian or a Buddhist themselves when they are racist?

People viewed anti-miscegenation laws as anti-Christian and cited many passages from the Bible that purport to forbid mixed race marriages. The Christian outrage was so strong that it's been compared to the current Christian opposition to gay marriage. Funny thing is we now laugh at Christians who are racist but still believe Christians are 'entitled to their beliefs' when it comes to homophobia. In general, I don't really care what religious beliefs you have--if you're an bubble gum, then you're an bubble gum...religious belief isn't a defense.

Archived