[Drama 1999] Happy Together 해피투게더

Guest kiye

[sBS] LeeByungHun, SongSeungHun, KimHaNeul, JunJiHyun, ChaTaeHyun
can ANYONE tell me about this drama?! i just noticed the title somewhere..~ any information would be appreciated!!! ^^*

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLUBBOX (thanks to gracew)

http://clubbox.co.kr/posole

Happy Together (SBS 1999)

happytogethertop6fi.jpg

Starring: Lee Byung-Hun, Song Seung-Heon, Kim Ha-Neul

Director: Oh Jong-Rok

Production :SBS

The story of this moving TV drama revolves around 5 brothers and sisters whose lives are torn apart by the tragic loss of their parents. This unfortunate incident causes carries each of the family members in different directions until they are finally reunited by a miraculous twist of fate. Starring Lee Byung-hun (as Tae Poong),Cha Tae-hyun and Jeon Ji-hyun, Song Seung-hun and Kim Ha-neul, Happy Together attracted 39.8% of all Korean viewers during its premier broadcast on SBS in 1999. It very interesting to see most casting members who that time were a new (Kim Ha neul, Jeon Ji Hyun) or unknown face (Cha Tae-Hyun) now become super star in TV or movies. In this drama, LBH showed up his magnificent capability of acting by perfectly portraiting dashing and rushing, yet sensitive Tae Poong.

htcast0si.jpg

Synopsis credit to PlanetBH0712, Shirley and Wei Lin at Everything Lee Byung Hun.

Captures from SBS & Happy Together Japanese site.

The cast of Happy Together - SBS 1999

charac_lbh_030407.jpgLEE BYUNG HUN charac_ssh_030407.jpgSONG SEUNG HUN charac_khn_030407.jpgKIM HA NEUL

charac_jms_030407.jpgJO MIN SOO charac_jjh_030407.jpgJEON JI HYUN charac_ksy_030407.jpgKANG SUNG YUN

charac_hge_030407.jpgHAN GO EUN charac_cth_030407.jpgCHA TAE HYUN charac_jojh_030407.jpgJO JAE HYUN

Source: sbs.co.kr

The Happy Together summary (ep 1- 8)

deep gratitude to Shirley at Koreanfilm.org forum

The father of Chan Zhu, Zhi Suo and Wen Zhu was a policeman who died on duty and hence their mother remarried. Their stepfather who was a gangster also has a son, Tai Fung. Therefore the two families become one due to their parents' marriage. Another daughter Lun Zhu was born soon after that.

Because of his indecent background as a gangster, Chan Zhu and Zhi Suo resented their new stepfather and stepbrother. Furthermore, due to the brainwashing from their auntie and grandmother, Chan Zhu hated their mother for the plight they are in. And soon after their mother and stepfather died during an accident, one night their grandmother took Chan Zhu, Zhi Suo and Wen Zhu away leaving Tai Fung and Lun Zhu behind.

As he was unable to take care of his sister, Tai Fung had no choice but to send Lun Zhu to an orphanage. Lun Zhu was adopted and the siblings lost contact with one another.

Ten years passed and Tai Fung was a baseball player and his greatest wish was to find his family; Chan Zhu, Zhi Suo and the two younger sisters.

During the 10 years, Chan Zhu has been working very hard in order to provide for her brother and sister, and groom Zhi Suo into a Public Prosecutor. The topic of Tai Fung and Lun Zhu is a taboo in the family as they try to forget their unwanted part of the family. However Wen Zhu was unable to forgive her sister for abandoning their young sister and Tai Fung as she was close to her stepfather. Hence she becomes very rebellious. Wen Zhu borrowed from the loan sharks and was caught by them during her cheerleading at the stadium when she failed to pay up.

She was taken to the club where she was forced to make payment. Zhi Suo happened to be on duty there for the arrest of the gang leader. Once he discovered his sister in the nightclub, Zhi Suo was so furious that he ordered her handcuffed and brought her home. Zhi Suo blamed Chan Zhu for her lack of attention on Wen Zhu and letting her work in such place as nightclubs. The next day, Chan Zhu went to the club to look for Wen Zhu. As Wen Zhu can never forget her sister for the separation of the family with Tai Fung, she was never on good terms with her elder sister and hearing her lecture, she in moment of fury, caught hold of someone passing by and kissed the man (who was Zhao Pi Tao) and said that she is a very easy woman which make her sister turned away in anger.

During a match, Tai Fung was doing a homerun and clashes into the umpire. Tai Fung hurt his own leg as well as injuring the umpire's arm. The two were sent to the hospital. The umpire is the father of Siu He. When Siu He was at the hospital for a visit, at the garden, while trying to rescue a balloon for a child, she collided into Tai Fung who was also helping the child to get the balloon. The two fall onto the grass together. That moment when Tai Fung laid eyes on Siu He, it was love at first sight.

Zhi Suo came to visit Siu He's father at the hospital and met Tai Fung. Tai Fung soon recognized him as his long lost brother and was thrilled to found him at last. But soon he also learned that Zhi Suo is Siu He's fiancé. Zhi Suo was not thrilled at meeting Tai Fung again, as his impression of him is a useless good for nothing gangster and asked him not to appear again. The two quarreled over the matter of Siu He and decided it is going to be a fair competition for her heart. Zhi Suo told his sister Chan Zhu the meeting with Tai Fung and her reaction was more furious than him, as she hated Tai Fung.

Siu He was preparing for the engagement with Zhi Suo and went to Chan Zhu house for the ring. Tai Fung happened to be at the house to visit Chan Zhu and to ask where his parents were buried. But Chan Zhu humiliated him and chased him out of the house. Tai Fung was greatly upset by this and Chan Zhu also cried by the sudden appearance of Tai Fung and the pain he brought. Siu He knew of Tai Fung wish to visit his parents' graves and offer to take him there. But the solemn atmosphere was soon filled of laughter when she pointed the wrong graves to Tai Fung and making him cry for nothing. Siu He showed her engagement rings to Tai Fung, and soon she put it into the pocket of the jacket Tai Fung has lent her. She returned the jacket to Tai Fung when they parted but had totally forgotten about the ring. Siu He soon found that she has misplaced the ring on the day of the engagement. Fortunately. Tai Fung discovered the ring and bring it to Siu He in time but at the same time was heavily beaten up by Zhi Suo who was venting his anger upon seeing him again.

Zhao Pi Tao gave Wen Zhu a lesson on his first day as manager at the nightclub and ordered her to work hard to pay her debts. Tai Fung though was beaten up at the restaurant, managed to know from Siu He the whereabouts of Wen Zhu. Tai Fung went to the nightclub to look for Wen Zhu, and after a fight, finally managed to reconcile with Wen Zhu. Tai Fung told her not to work at the nightclub anymore. Wen Zhu and Chan Zhu have a big argument and Wen Zhu left home again and spent the night at the club. She was running a fever and Zhao discovered her and took care of her.

Tai Fung went back to his hostel and a little boy was looking for him. He claimed to be Tai Chi and that his mother told gave him Tai Fung's name and address and that Tai Fung is his father. His mother had married and went overseas. Tai Fung was soon chased out by the landlord as he was too noisy and with a child. As he does not want to bother his friend Pu He, he was sleeping along the streets with Tai Chi and finally decided using the toss of a coin that he will look for Chan Zhu to take them in.

Chan Zhu as usual tried to chase him out as he is not welcome in the family. Tai Fung had told Tai Chi to stay in the toilet. While Tai Fung was being chased out, Tai Chi was left behind in Chan Zhu's house. Just when Tai Fung was looking for a place, his fan Zhi Lun appeared. Zhi Lun asked him to stay with her as she had prepared a room for him. Tai Fung has to accept the offer since he is at his wit’s end. Little did he know that Zhi Lun is his youngest sister Lun Zhu. After her adoption, Lun Zhu has been thinking of her brother and as her adopted parents decide to migrate, she requested to stay behind and look for her brother alone. She took on a lot of jobs to save enough money, when she found Tai Fung, he did not recognize her. She was heartbroken and decided to remain by her brother's side as a fan and hoping that one day Tai Fung will remember and call her name: Lun Zhu

Siu He and Zhi Suo has been together for ten years and the Siu He's father wants to see them get married. As they feel the time is also right, the two were happily planning for their wedding. Zhi Suo has a university classmate, Yi Cai Lin who work together with him. She comes from a wealthy background. She is secretly in love with Zhi Suo. Cai Lin was surprised when she learned of his wedding plans.

Because to his aunt, Chan Zhu and Zhi Suo's house was in danger of being taken over by the government if they fail to pay back a loan. Chan Zhu was depressed by the threat of losing the house that she had work so hard for, and this troubled Zhi Suo. But he tried to hide his problems from Siu He, as he does not want to make her worry. For the past ten years, whenever he get a cold, Siu He will also be sick, she will take care of him till she also fall ill.

Yi Cai Lin know of the Zhi Suo family problems that it was used as an mortgage for his uncle loan and after his uncle disappearance, the house is due to be confiscated unless the loan is paid. Chan Zhu also has received the notice letter from the court. Cai Lin offers a solution to Zhi Suo that her father will provide the loan. Because of his pride, Zhi Suo cannot make himself take the offer as he feel that he won't be able to repay her father. Cai Lin went to ask Siu He to convince Zhi Suo. Siu He now knows that Zhi Suo has been keeping her in the dark about his problems and she feel miserable that he did not share his problems with her. Zhi Suo told her that he has accepted Cai Lin's offer. But Cai Lin's father had agreed to the loan as he thought that Zhi Suo was Cai Lin's boyfriend. He was pleased with Zhi Suo and treats him like a future son-in-law.

Ever since this matter, Zhi Suo's aunt despise Siu He as a hindrance for Zhi Suo's advancement in his career and was eager to help Zhi Suo and Cai Lin to stay together.

Zhi Lun took good care of Tai Fung when they are living under one roof. He, unaware of Zhi Lun's real identity, kept looking for his sister Lun Zhu. He thought that she was taken to Australia by her adopted parents.

Guest kdramanut

I was a bit disappointed by the ending (too neat), but overall, I LOVED this series. It's also great to see so many great actors when they were younger.

Guest atreyu112

I like this series.. full of issues and how they rectify it as a family.. overall it is a heartwarming drama.. abt a family.. honestly, before i watched this series, i didn't like bee yong acting.. but as i watched it, i kinda respect and admire him.. and of course, KHN and SSH were in there to spice thing up!

happytogether.jpg

Happy Together

SBS/1999

Producer : Oh Jong Rog

Starring : Lee Byung Hun, Kim Ha Neul,

Song Seung Hun, Jun Ji Hyun,

Cha Tae Hyun, Kang Sung Yeon,

Jo Jae Hyun, Han Go Eun

Average viewing rate : 37.9%

Super casting! Very good drama about 6 siblings.

It might be little boring but good script.

Site rating

Yeseule's RATING: 4 out of 6

Source: http://www.yeseule.net

Recently, browsing endlessly... I stumbled on YouTube.com. Seems like it's an alternate hosting site for sharing video clips which is quite similar to YouSendIt or MegaUpload but instead of providing a download link, the site readily plays the video clip via streaming.

Anyone who's familiar with YouTube or interested to find out... can give it a try... just click on the link(s) provided, a separate window opens and hopefully, the video clip will start playing. Clips credit to those sharing.

Happy Together

http://www.youtube.com/?v=yImW8G8wPbo

Happy Together - Main Title

http://www.youtube.com/?v=z1nQlMkErnI

Source: http://www.youtube.com/results.php?search=Byung

oh wow! thanks for all the info!!

this drama actually caught my eye because of the cast.

it's an incredible actually! but ..maybe too many

huge stars at once?! o_O;; hehe

hmm.. seems like most reallllly like the cast,

but not so gung-ho about the actual drama.

a bit boring i guess?! so, not a solid recommendation?

I actually thought the storyplot was pretty heart-warming, something very different from storyplots you find in dramas nowadays...

Hi Fleur! Totally agree with you about a heart-warming plot in Happy Together. Given that it's an older series before the Korean Wave started... it wasn't the trendy-romance type of series but a wholesome & feel good family series (minus the parents). I absolutely love the chemistry between LBH and JJH as siblings, as well as LBH-SSH relationships as 'brothers yet rivals'... the hardships and heartaches to reunite a family back together again. The SSH-KHN(-LBH) romance was a bit downplayed, don't you think? But enough to leave a wonderful impression all over. And of course, CTH was a blast in the series... one that makes you smile at his antics.

I actually thought the storyplot was pretty heart-warming, something very different from storyplots you find in dramas nowadays...

ohh, i see!! it's actually quite difficult to compare old kdramas

before the kwave to current ones i think. but i love both old and new!! :wub:

hmm ...i've been itching to watch or rewatch an old classic kdrama.

i like how a tad cheesy, and nice the old ones were.. hehe.

aLOT of the currect ones nowadays are really into the cute

girl heroine i noticed. not that i'm complaining. but i think the old ones

are more like, the poor-rich cinderella [strong opinions, outspoken] type of

heroine, right??i know alot of the cinderella plots are used

over and over again.. but i can't seem to get enough of it.

in a well-done drama of course.. hehe :sweatingbullets:

• 4 weeks later...

90614e.jpg

The siblings from L-R: Tai Fung, Wen Zhu, Lun Zhu, Chan Zhu & Zhi Suo; image from PlanetBH0712

Episode 1*

Chan Zhu (Jo Min Soo) runs a comic-book shop and gets along well with her brother Zhi Suo (Song Seung Hun), but not with her sister Wen Zhu (Kang Sung Yung). Chan Zhu's father was a police officer who died in the line of duty. When her mother and stepfather died too, Chan Zhu ended up taking care of her stepfather's son, Tai Fung (Lee Byung Hun), her half sister Lun Zhu (Jeon Ji Hyun) and her own 2 siblings. She detested Tai Fung and Lun Zhu because her stepfather was a gangster.

On her grandmother's suggestion, Chan Zhu abandoned Tai Fung and Lun Zhu. Wen Zhu got along well with Tai Fung and from then on, became very rebellious towards Chan Zhu. Ten years have passed. Tai Fung is now a professional baseball player. Lun Zhu works in a fast food restaurant. Zhi Suo is a public prosecutor and has a girlfriend Siu He (Kim Ha Neul). At the hospital, Tai Fung falls for Siu He...

*Copyright © 2002 All Rights Reserved. MediaCorpTV Singapore Pte Ltd .

Guest ibabyxgardien

it was a really really really really good drama.

ahahaha. but if you don't like it. oh well.

i enjoyed it and i thought the plot was cute

cause it's about a family. hehe.

well then enjoy~~ ;D

ohh, i see!! it's actually quite difficult to compare old kdramas

before the kwave to current ones i think. but i love both old and new!! :wub:

hmm ...i've been itching to watch or rewatch an old classic kdrama.

i like how a tad cheesy, and nice the old ones were.. hehe.

aLOT of the currect ones nowadays are really into the cute

girl heroine i noticed. not that i'm complaining. but i think the old ones

are more like, the poor-rich cinderella [strong opinions, outspoken] type of

heroine, right??i know alot of the cinderella plots are used

over and over again.. but i can't seem to get enough of it.

in a well-done drama of course.. hehe :sweatingbullets:

hmm....u want a solid recommendation~ .this was like my early kdramas maybe my fourth or fifth because the moment i read the synopsis it remind me of a favourite jdrama Under one roof .a very heartwarming tale of a brother seeking for his family ~ ..and want to make sure they are together ~ and how hard he tried to iron out the conflicts ~ ...i like the way this script was written and the cast deliver their performance ..in each of their roles ..u might not be able to find back this same cast to be together in a drama again ~ because it will be going into billions the way these actors/actress now are .. worth ..~ this was my first lbh drama . so i was pleasantly surprised at the down to earth guy his role is i still remember how he clean the shoes for his brother and quietly just place it outside for him ~ ..how desperate he was looking for his sister ~ ..

..and that kdrama is not only about rich and the beautiful ...or any ill fated romance but it can be too about a family about ordinary people with ordinary problems .or well not so ordinary but more realistic life choices .~ i sympathise with how ji shou feel so burdened and wanted to be free .but yet when the chance come he know that is not an easy choice to make ..~ .that sometimes you will have choices that you regret maybe later for choosing it but even greater regrets if you really make it ~ .....because u cannot live with it ~ ...so u just have to ..realllly choose with your heart .and know what are the choices that you will feel lesser regrets ~ ..

and how each of them has their own issues and how they can face it together and overcome it ~ .....i like each of the little plot for each of the member ...i even like the baseball coach .he is such a wise man with wisdom of words haha ~~ ...the writer i think wrote for Piano too which somehow to me was like a continuation of this drama ..as jo jae hyun was in it too with the elder sister Jo min soo here in happy together ~ ..and it speak of how two families are joined by marriage ~ as in happy together ~ ......i like that drama too ~

welll i am biased when it come to happy together it has sh and bh in it together ~ ..ahhh ~ .i think i watch this more then twice ~.

^thank you for your wonderful input!!!!

i won't be able to watch it for awhile bc of

time constraints >_<!! but i think i will later

on. for some reason, the little interconnected

stories of all the characters kind of reminds

me of what people have been saying about

"goodbye solo." about the story being centered

around many characters and their real issues..

even though it's a totally different plotline.

hmm.. i'm watching "star in my heart" right

now. i think i'll tackle this one next ^^!! hehe

i'm really enjoying the older dramas for some

reason.

but wow. soompiers are so awsome.. so much

info, pics, input! thanks so much!!!!!!! :w00t:

Archived