Biggest Mover of the week: As stated above, it was Youn Ha’s "혜성" (Comet).
Hot shot debut: Yang Dong Geun’s "나는나뻐" (I’m Bad) is our highest debut this week at No. 18. Fans may know Yang Dong Geun (YDG) more as an actor. But actually he debuted first as a hip-hop singer in 2002 before he entered the big screen. In the past, his hip-hop songs were quite hard core. In this new song, he adopted a more laid-back style on his rapping and it has proved to be very successful.
New songs: Like last week, we have 9 new songs and 1 re-entry this week.
Songs to watch out:
3. Koyote – 사랑공식 (Love Formula) – Moves up 2 more spots to No. 3. In the past, almost all Koyote’s title songs were able to challenge for the top spot. But the top 2 songs are very strong and it will take a lot to overtake them. Nonetheless, Koyote have done their best to remain one of the most consistent hit-makers in k-pop.
4. Lim Jeong Hee – 사랑에미치면 (When you’re crazy in love) – Her first top 5 hit, which is a good addition to her credentials when she debuts in the US. Now JYP’s two proud students Wonder Girls and Lim Jeong Hee are both in the top 5, and JYP himself is releasing his 7th album after 6 years of laid off. We are going to see all three of them performing on the same stage. Let’s see if that will further increase the popularity of all their songs.
5. Lee Seung Chul – 사랑한다 (I Love You) – Like Koyote, Lee Seung Chul is a very consistent hit-maker in k-pop over the years. We didn’t see Lee Seung Chul appearing a lot in gayo show on his last album in 2006. This time he has chosen to perform more and already had his comeback stage. As a result, this song is in the top 5 in only its 2nd week on the chart. That has already topped the performances of any of his songs from the last album.
11. Shin Hye Sung – 지우고, 버리고, 잊어도… (Erase, Abandon, Forget) – The title song from the repackaged version of his 2nd album. It’s doing very well as it moves up 10 spots and closing in on the top 10. If this ballad reminds you of any MC The Max songs, that’s because it is written by Shin In Soo and Yang Jae Sun, a combination often found in hit songs from MC The Max.
20. Cho Shin Sung – 안녕 (Goodbye) – 2nd highest debut this week, and it’s the group’s first ever top-20 song, topping their debut dance song "Hit". This song is a very SG Wannabe style medium tempo ballad which fits the winter season. Of course, it is written by the one-two punch of Cho Young Soo and Ahn Young Min.
22. Tim – 사랑한만큼 (As much as I love) – Once labeled "the new prince of ballad", Tim is finally back for his 4th album. Tim had a lot of success in his first 2 albums, but not much since then. He has a decent debuting position for this new song. Let’s see if he will be able to re-capture the glory this time. The song is about being unable to forget the pain of breaking up. The poignant lyrics feel like one man’s sad soliloquy.
32. MC The Max – 사랑을 외치다 (Call out love) – Almost every year at around this time, MC The Max come out with a new album featuring an emotional rock ballad for Winter. This year is no different, only that this new song is not coming from a new album but the 2nd repackaged version of their 5th album released almost half a year ago. After the more up-tempo rock song "Tears", the trio are returning to their familiar grounds of rock ballad. Let’s see if this song is able to duplicate the success of their countless past winter hits.
36. Brown Eyed Soul – My Story – Led by former Brown Eyes member Naul, Brown Eyed Soul (BES) returned 4 years after the release of their first album. During the last 4 years while they were absent, k-pop has seen a lot of R&B groups reminiscent of the original Brown Eyes. This song is a reminder that BES are coming from the true original Brown Eyes, with their vintage R&B melody. The album, as expected, has become a top seller ever since its release. This song will probably become next week’s biggest mover when album sales scores start to count.
45. Cho PD – Korea City – Who could have forgotten his No. 1 song in 2004 "Friend" (feat. In Soon Yi)? The rapper is finally back with his 6th album "Money Talks". "Korea City" is about a harsh reality in which people live daily for money.
50. Kim Jo Han – 사랑이늦어서미안해 (Sorry For The Love Being Late) – One of the first singers to introduce R&B music to k-pop from his days in Solid and also as a solo artiste, Kim Jo Han is back with this highly recommended ballad. The melody of this song is more pop-oriented than R&B, filled with his easily recognizable voice. The success of this song may depend on how much he’s coming out to promote.
The 3rd annual Soompi Gayo Award Show will take place this year on December 29. Nominees will be announced around December 11. Just like last 2 years, we’ll have a voting (counts 20%) on the Dae Sang winner out of the 10 Bon Sang recipients. Be sure to be part of this event. Stay tune for more details.
Prior to the award show, yours truly will announce the "staff recommendation top 20 songs of 2007" at the week of Christmas. It’s already the 6th year we are doing that, and this year I’m going back to the countdown format that I announce 5 songs a day. At the end, we are also going to announce some recommended albums in 2007.
Click on the youtube links to watch the top 20 songs’ live performance or MV. You can also listen to the 1 minute sample – follow the links to melon.com and install the melon player to your computer. After that, click on the song title to listen.
Music + Lyrics: Park Jin Young
Music: Japanese song / Lyrics: Kim Yi Jin
Music: Kim Do Hoon, Kim Se Jin / Lyrics: Kim Se Jin, Seo Jung Jin
Music: Bang Shi Hyuk / Lyrics: Kang Eun Kyung
Music + Lyrics: Kang Ji Won
Music: Cho Young Soo / Lyrics: Ahn Young Min
Music + Lyrics: Minuki
Music: Seo Jae Ha / Lyrics: Kang Eun Kyung
Music: Park Keun Tae / Lyrics: Wheesung
Music: Kim Do Hoon / Lyrics: Hwang Sung Jin
Genre: Pop Ballad
Watch the performance
Album: Shin Hye Sung Vol. 2 Special Edition Track 1 – Listen here for 1 minute sample
Music: Shin In Soo / Lyrics: Yang Jae Sun
Music + Lyrics: G-Dragon
Music: Hwang Sung Je / Lyrics: Lee Soo Young
Music + Lyrics: Yoon Jong Shin
Music: Han Seung Hoon / Lyrics: Han Sung Ho, Lee Won Ki
Music: Kim Gun Woo / Lyrics: Maybee
Music: Kim Do Hoon / Lyrics: Choi Kap Won
Music: Peejay / Lyrics: Yang Dong Geun
Music: Kim Sung Soo + Yoo Young Jin / Lyrics: Yoo Young Jin
Music: Cho Young Soo / Lyrics: Ahn Young Min
21. (+2) M – THE “M” STYLE : 331
22. (New) Tim – 사랑한만큼 (As much as I love) : 326
23. (-1) Drunken Tiger – 8:45 Heaven : 324
24. (-4) M To M – 못된남자 (Evil Man) : 313
25. (New) Outsider – 남자답게 (Like A Man) : 280
26. (-10) SNSD – 다시만난세계 (Into The New World) : 278
27. (-10) Lee Seung Ki – 왜가니 (Why are you leaving?) : 271
28. (-9) Black Pearl – 결국너잖아 (In The End, It’s You) : 258
29. (+1) Jang Yoon Jung – 첫사랑 (First Love) : 245
30. (+4) Seo Ji Young – 인형의 꿈 (Doll’s Dream) : 240
31. (New) Jung Jae Wook – 그만하자 (Let’s stop) : 237
32. (New) MC The Max – 사랑을 외치다 (Call out love) : 235
33. (-8) 8EIGHT – 사랑을잃고난노래하네 (Forget Love and Sing) : 217
34. (-3) See Ya – 얼음인형 (Ice Doll) : 216
35. (-11) Cherry Filter – 느껴봐 (Feel It) : 213
36. (New) Brown Eyed Soul – My Story : 210
37. (-10) Jang Hye Jin – 가라 사랑아 (Go Away Love) : 206
38. (+2) Lee Sang Eun – 삶은 여행 (Life is like a journey) : 203
39. (-4) DBSG – 천년연가 (Eternal Love Song) : 194
40. (-14) Zi-A – 물끄러미 (Absentmindedly) : 178
41. (–) Namolla Family – 사랑해요 (I Love You) : 177
42. (-14) Monday Kiz – 투면한 눈물 (Invisible Tears) : 155
43. (-1) Fly To The Sky – 사랑해 (I Love You) : 147
44. (-6) Kim Jang Hoon (feat. Epik High) – 남자라서웃어요 (I’m smiling because I’m a man) : 143
45. (New) Cho PD – Korea City : 133
46. (-8) Crown J – 그녀를뺏겠습니다 (I’ll get her back) : 132
47. (Re-entry) Hong Kyung Min – 못난이 (Fool) : 124
48. (-1) JJ – Love Actually : 120
49. (-5) Linae – 기억강자 (Memory Box) : 103
50. (New) Kim Jo Han – 사랑이늦어서미안해 (Sorry For The Love Being Late) : 98
Sources of the top 20
The sources of this top 20 chart are pretty much the same, but the weight assigned to each source may be different each week because some charts do not update weekly (e.g. MNet M!Countdown) and I assign fewer percentage when it happens. From now on, I’ll list my chart sources each week. For November week 3:
ChartKorea – 20%
Hanteo and KMDIA Weekly Album Sales (2 weeks lag) – 20%
MNet M!Countdown – 20%
SBS – Inky Gayo Take 7 poll + Internet Chart + MP3 Download Chart (1 week lag) – 10%
Various Internet charts (Melon, Jukeon, Dosirak, MaxMP3, Muz, Bugs, Ohdio, Soribada) – 15%
Hanteo Gayo Chart – 10% (1 week lag)
Gasoo appearance on gayo shows (MBC Show Music Core, SBS Love Concert, KBS Music Bank, SBS Music Space, KBS Yoon Do Hyun Love Letter, MNet M!Countdown, KMTV Show Music Tank, Pops In Seoul) – 5%