All the important Korean Entertainment news from this week in one place: This is your Weekly Soompi Roundup! Looks like the short edition is here to stay (unless you can convince this lazy writer otherwise).
- Congratulations to Haha and Byul in welcoming their first son! May he inherit Byul’s musical talents and Haha’s humor.
- Former S.E.S member Shoo also announced that she gave birth, but to twin girls!
- Rain has been officially discharged from the military, which means he only has to worry about upsetting his fans, and not the military, when he goes on dates with his girlfriend, Kim Tae Hee.
- Speaking of his girlfriend, the actress revealed very little when asked about her relationship with the singer.
- Lee Byung Hun was loyal to his fiancé when he claimed that Lee Min Jung is prettier than Catherine Zeta Jones.
- Soon-to-be mom Sunye is reportedly going to Haiti after she gives birth to her child. JYP was just as surprised as you to find out.
- Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Sunny will be singing the national anthem and throwing the ceremonial pitch at the Dodgers versus Cincinnati Reds game on July 28. Maybe this time they can redeem themselves from their previous fail pitches? Maybe?
- Check out the quarter results for the Seoul International Drama Awards that you are voting for! Whether you are happy or not with the results so far, remember there’s still plenty of time to vote.
- You can also win free tickets to attend the actual award show in person!
- Instagram is the hot social networking site, even among Korean celebrities, so here’s a collection of some recent Instagram pictures with links to their accounts.
The upcoming drama “Heirs” has a great cast list already, but they’re also adding f(x)’s Krystal, ZE:A’s Hyung Sik, and Kang Ha Neul. So. Many. Pretty. People. Nichkhun and Jia have been cast in another drama, in a different country.
In variety news, Gui Gui and Taecyeon said their sad goodbyes as a virtual couple in the global version of “We Got Married.” The Korean version had the three couples competing in pictorials, and even though you can’t submit your vote for the real thing, you can vote in our Soompi poll. Don’t forget, Soompi has a “We Got Married” recap that is most awesome.
The music video of the week goes to 2NE1, simply because they have been gone a long time and it’s good to see them back. Jay Park likes to party in his music video. Ailee shows off her powerful vocals and new moves in “U&I.” Rookie group 2EYES releases the drama version of “Don’t Mess With Me.” A-JAX needs psychiatric help in “Insane.” Stellar makes a comeback and tell you to “Study.” SHU-I breaks out in “Don’t be Down.” Geeks hold several guerrilla concerts in “Fly.” Untouchable wants you to “Call Me.”
Also in music news, Areum will be leaving T-ara to pursue a solo career. EXO is the first group announced for the KCON lineup. If you think you fangirl (or fanboy) harder than anyone else, prove it by auditioning for Mnet America‘s new reality show. Girl’s Day won their first music show ever (yay!) but it was for a cancelled episode (nay!). Whether you are old like me or just need a good K-pop history lesson, check out our Hwayobi tribute.
That’s all for this recap! If you haven’t already (and why not?), follow Noona on Twitter because she misses you during the week too.