MC Mong Denies Involvement In EXO’s Baekhyun, Xiumin, And Chen’s Legal Battle With SM
On June 1, the three EXO members officially announced that they had informed SM Entertainment of the termination of their exclusive contracts that day. SM Entertainment then responded with their own statement in which they claimed there was an external third party influencing their artists with false information, in an attempt to get the singers to breach their existing contracts with SM and sign with them instead.
That same day, it was revealed that SM Entertainment had sent a certification of contents to Big Planet Made Entertainment, claiming that the latter agency had approached Baekhyun, Xiumin, and Chen about signing contracts with their company.
While Big Planet Made Entertainment confirmed that SM Entertainment had indeed sent them such a certification of contents, they denied the claims made by SM, stating that they had never met with the artists mentioned. Big Planet Made Entertainment also clarified reports that MC Mong was an executive director at the agency, explaining that he had no position in the company and was not involved in management.
On June 2, MC Mong released a formal statement of his own through a legal representative in which he denied any involvement in inducing the dispute between SM and the three EXO members. The famous singer and producer stated that while he knew Baekhyun “on a personal level,” he had not attempted to recruit him as an artist, and he had “merely comforted” Baekhyun when he was “having a hard time due to issues with his agency.”
MC Mong’s legal representative went on to ask SM Entertainment to refrain from making vague mentions of an unnamed third party “in order to prevent MC Mong from incurring further damage and misunderstandings,” and they also threatened to take legal action against the spreading of any false reports about MC Mong’s involvement in the future.
Their full statement is as follows:
This is the law firm Kohwoo. We are making a statement on behalf of our client MC Mong.
- SM Entertainment, who is currently in the midst of a dispute with EXO’s Baekhyun, Xiumin, and Chen, made a statement claiming that there is an outside third-party who approached their artists and influenced them, and articles related to this claim have been published and spread.
- Regretfully, however, some of these articles reported unconfirmed speculations that “MC Mong” and “Big Planet Made Entertainment, where MC Mong is an executive director” were the third party mentioned by SM.
- Therefore, in order to prevent these false reports from being spread, we are clearly informing you through this statement that MC Mong has had no involvement whatsoever that could have induced the dispute between SM and “CBX” [EXO’s Chen, Baekhyun, and Xiumin]. Moreover, as MC Mong is not an executive director at Big Planet Made Entertainment, the related rumors are clearly far from the truth.
- As his senior colleague in the music industry, MC Mong merely knows Baekhyun on a personal level, and he has never used his personal acquaintance with Baekhyun to try and recruit him as an artist. He merely comforted his junior colleague, who was having a hard time due to issues with his agency, at an ordinary social gathering, and there was no illegal behavior such as “luring” him the way SM described. We also inform you that they were not at a location that would have made such behavior possible.
- In order to prevent MC Mong from incurring further damage and misunderstandings due to SM’s unclear mention of a “third party,” we ask that you refrain from making further unclear mentions of a third party in the future.
- Through this statement, MC Mong has clearly revealed the truth and stated his position. Accordingly, as his legal representative, we will be responding to any spreading of false rumors that occurs from now on with swift legal action. We entreat you to please cooperate, so that there will be no further damage.
Top Left Photo Credit: Xportsnews