Ryu Seung Bum and Jung Yoo Mi Win Best Actor and Actress at 20th Buil Film Awards
On Oct 7, Ryu Seung Bum and Jung Yoo Mi won the Best Actor and Best Actress Awards respectively, at the 20th Buil Film Awards, held at the Haneulyeon Theater inside the newly opened Busan Cinema Center.
Ryu Seung Bum won the Best Actor Award for his role as a prosecutor in “The Unjust,” co-starring Hwang Jung Min and directed by his brother Ryu Seung Wan. Ryu Seung Bum had won a similar award earlier at the 15th Fantasia International Film Festival held at Montreal in July.
Jung Yoo Mi won the first Best Actress Award in her career, for her role in “Oki’s Movie” as the charming Oki who is loved by both her fellow university classmate (Lee Seon Gyun) and her professor (Moon Sung Geum).
Other winners include:
- Best Film: The Front Line
- Best Director: Kim Tae Yong (Late Autumn)
- Best Supporting Actor: Go Chang Seok (The Front Line)
- Best Supporting Actress: Kim Yeo Jin (Children)
- Best New Director: Park Jung Bum (The Journals of Musan)
- Best New Actor: Lee Jae Hoon (The Front Line)
- Best New Actress: Kang So Ra (Sunny)
- Best Screenplay: Yoon Sang Ho (Banga, Banga)
- Best Cinematography: Kim Tae Sung, Park Jong Chul (Bow, The Ultimate Weapon)
- Best Score: Lee Ji Soo (Leafie, a Hen into the Wild)
- Best Art Direction: Ryu Sung Hee (The Front Line)
- Yoo Hyun Mok Film Arts Award: Kang Woo Seok
- Buil Readers Jury Award (via popularity voting on the internet): Bow, The Ultimate Weapon
- Best Dressed (at the awards ceremony): Lee Jae Hoon
The Buil Film Awards began in 1958 as the earliest film awards held in Korea. During the 50s and 60s, it was the biggest film awards event in the Busan region. The event went into a 34-year hiatus from 1973 to 2007 when the film industry lost its appeal to the television industry, before being revived in 2008.
It is currently one of the highlights of the ongoing Busan International Film Festival, held from Oct 6 ~ Oct 14. Mayor of Busan Heo Nam Shik, director Im Kwon Taek, actor Ahn Sung Ki and actress Kang Soo Yeon are some of the distinguished guests among the 800 that attended the awards ceremony.
“The Front Line” swept 4 awards at the 20th Buil Film Awards, for Best Film, Best Art Direction, Best Supporting Actor and Best New Actor
Double winner Lee Jae Hoon won the Best New Actor (The Front Line) and Best Dressed Awards.