Court Rules Against Woman Who Accused Jo Jae Hyun Of Sexual Assault In Damages Lawsuit

A woman who filed a lawsuit for damages against actor Jo Jae Hyun has lost in the first trial regarding the case.

The woman (hereafter referred to as “A”) had said that she was sexually assaulted by Jo Jae Hyun in 2004 when she was 17 years old. She filed a lawsuit for damages in the amount of 300 million won (approximately $274,600) against the actor in July 2018. In September of that year, the court decided on compulsory mediation, saying that the case’s statute of limitations had already expired. A made an objection, and so the formal trial began.

During the proceedings, A’s side stated that she had filed the lawsuit in order to make her suffering known. Jo Jae Hyun’s side denied the allegations and said that the case’s statute of limitations had expired. On January 8, the Seoul Central District Court ruled against the plaintiff in the lawsuit for damages.

According to Article 766, Section 1 of Korea’s Civil Code, the right to claim for damages resulting from an unlawful act expires within three years since the date in which the injured party or their legal representative becomes aware of such damage and of the identity of the person who caused it.

Following initial accusations of sexual harassment in February 2018, Jo Jae Hyun released an apology, resigned from professorship at Kyungsung University, and withdrew from the drama “Cross.” Further sexual assault allegations came out about the actor, which he has denied.

Source (1) (2)

Top Left Photo Credit: Xportsnews

How does this article make you feel?
0
0
0
0
0