[Recap] Soompi Weekly Roundup December Week 2
All the important Korean Entertainment news from this week in one place: This is your Weekly Soompi Roundup!
This week in Korean entertainment news…
- Nice save? Awkward save? Lee Hong Ki tried to hide his wardrobe malfunction but ended up looking like he was touching himself the whole time while he was singing.
- MBC and KBS, two of Korea’s top broadcasting companies, have banned the celebrities involved in gambling and propofol scandals from appearing on TV. For some celebrities, this may be worse than a prison sentence.
- Child actress Kim So Hyun became sick due to fatigue and cancelled two days of filming. She’s young! Let her rest!
- Now it’s their turn: Lee Soo Geun, Tak Jae Hoon, and Tony Ahn attended the first of their hearings for their gambling charges.
- Han Hyo Joo‘s former managers admit to the blackmail charge, but they would have to be incredible stupid not to since they were caught red handed.
- Not long after her marriage, Jang Yoon Jung will become a mother!
- Jung Dong Ha and Ahn Sang Tae will be getting married soon (not to each other). This is a first for Jung Dong Ha, and a second for Ahn Sang Tae.
- Director Kim Jo Kwang Soo‘s application to be legally married to his partner, Kim Seung Hwan, has been rejected by the district office. They’ll keep trying, but if anything, they have brought the issue of same-sex marriage up to the headlines.
- Welcome back! Buzz‘s Min Kyung Hoon is back from the military service and going straight into preparing for a new album.
- EXO and A Pink were caught up in a scandal involving an online game, some cussing, but most importantly, a stalkerish EXO fan who recorded a private conversation and then tried to passively blackmail Suho with it. Props to Suho for being cool about it. I feel like the dorky leader earned some street cred.
- In sadder news, Duke‘s Kim Ji Hoon (not the “Flower Boy Neighbor” actor) was found dead in a hotel room in apparent suicide. Most Soompiers may not be familiar with him and his duo, but Duke was an influential group in the early 2000. My condolences go out to his family, and I sincerely hope that suicide will no longer be a regular news headline for our celebrities.
The fashion pictorial of the week goes to Kim Woo Bin’s girlfriend, Yoo Ji Ahn. I know she’s a model so she has to look good, but she looks so beautiful and sexy in this pictorial! I don’t know who is more lucky: Kim Woo Bin or Yoo Ji Ahn. I hope their relationship lasts and they make beautiful tall babies together for the Korean entertainment.
Next…The Christmas songs are rolling in…
The music video of the week goes to Mystic89‘s “Christmas Wishes.” It’s almost the holiday season, and this video has some of the most unique and sultry voices in K-Pop. You can also listen to the male artist Christmas song “Winter Sky Star.”
Other notable music videos:
- Juniel – “Love Falls” Feat. Lee Jong Hyun
- Secret – “I Do I Do”
- Baek Ji Woong – “I Miss You”
- Jellyfish Entertainment – “Winter Confession” Feat. Sung Si Kyung, Park Hyo Shin, Seo In Guk, VIXX, Younger Sister
- Dabit – “Whoo Whoo Whoo”
- Deulgukhwa – “Walk On”
- G.Na – “Mornin'” Feat. Sanchez
- Yong Jun Hyung – “Flower“
- Starship Planet – “Snow Candy” Feat. Sistar, Boyfriend, K. Will
- Koyote – “After Winter” Feat. Kal So Won
- Lee Seung Hwan – “Soap” Feat. Lim Kim
- Topp Dog – “Cigarette“
- Younha – “Believes in Times”
- Freestyle – “Winter Song” feat. Navi
- Yoon Jong Shin – “The Day Long Ago” Feat. Lee Juck
- J-Walk – “Love Painfully”
- Big Star – “Stand Alone”
In other music news:
- Remember 2012 when SM released tons and tons of teasers for their (then) upcoming new boy group EXO? We were bombarded with photos and videos of beautiful future idols? Well, it’s starting again, and this time its of current trainees, both boys and girls. These idols do not disappoint when it comes to looks (when has SM ever let us down in that department?) and so far, at least the girls are talented.
- Sohee will not sign with JYP again, so that means she’s out of the Wonder Girls. I have no idea why they don’t just do a mercy kill and end this group officially.
- YG artists will not be attending the KBS or MBC end of year music award show, but they will be having special performances at the SBS one. YG gives the “conflicting schedule” excuse, but what could conflict with two of the biggest music events of the year?
- CNBlue is coming to North, Central, and South America! Can I get a “Woot Woot” from those in the Western hemisphere?
- Dazed Digital picked their top ten K-Pop picks of 2013. Looks like a lot of western media sources are looking into K-Pop, most likely to get some extra page views.
- Psy and Girls’ Generation will be coming back early next year. Wait, this looks familiar…like the way 2013 began….
- Kangta and Girls’ Day are also planning for a comeback. It’s been awhile for Kangta (six years!), Girls’ Day, not so much.
- YG will be promoting a new unit called BH. Bom and Hi? This agency has been really busy lately!
- SM and YG were voted as the top agencies of this year, and Mystic89 and Starship were also praised. I don’t know how much of this really matters, since the votes were from agency heads so they were pretty much voting for themselves.
- Flashback Friday! Remember Baby V.O.X? They may not have been as popular as Fin.K.L or S.E.S but they were a big deal, and a personal favorite of mine. Make sure to check out their song,”Doll.”
The SNS photo of the week goes to Click-B, and their very different before and after photo. I really loved this group back in the day! I had the biggest crush on Yun Suk and developed this obsession with guys wearing ski goggles.
Also, check out the week’s Instagram collection!
Next…“The Heirs” has ended. How do you feel?
“The Heirs” is over! Are you relieved or sad? The main cast of the drama picked their favorite scenes; what are some of yours?
In other drama and film news….
- Still miss “The Heirs?” Take a look at Kim Tan and Choi Young Do’s best lines from the drama.
- Kim Woo Bin is worth a lot. His value on TV, commercials, and film has doubled.
- TV producers chose Lee Bo Young and Lee Jong Suk as having the best luck in picking dramas.
- “Reply 1994” hasn’t ended yet, but before they do Seo In Guk, Jung Eun Ji, and Hoya will be making a cameo!
- Park Yoochun may drop out of “Three Days.” This drama has started off on the wrong foot.
- Lordborden wasn’t too impressed with the first two episodes of “Prime Minister and I.” Read his review here.
- Kim Hee Sung, Lee Seo Jin, Ok Taecyeon, and Hwang Soo Jung have officially been cast into the drama “Good Times Indeed.”
Who is hosting what at the end of year awards:
- Lee Seung Gi and Han Ji Hye will MC the MBC Drama Awards.
- Shin Dong Yeob, Kim Won Hee, and Krystal will MC the SBS Entertainment Awards.
- Suzy, Yoon Shi Yoon, and Lee Hwi Jae will MC the KBS Gayo Festival.
- Lee Bo Young and Kim Woo Bin will MC the SBS Drama Awards
Rain will be having his own reality program called “Rain Effect.” I guess after already using “Rainism” and “It’s Raining,” he’s running out of rain puns.
In other variety news…
- I threatened to stop writing the “We Got Married” recaps if Lee So Yeon and Yoon Han doesn’t become a real couple.
- Ratings for variety show are hard to predict.
- Winner will come back to reality television with a new Mnet reality tv show about the new YG group.
- Hyungshik, Taemin, Jung Joon Young, and Yoon Han will battle it out for the rookie awards at the MBC Entertainment Awards.
- “Grandpa’s Over Flowers” will be back for a third season once “Nunas Over Flowers” ends.