“Burning Sun Gate”: A Timeline Of Crime, Corruption, And Controversies
On January 28, footage was revealed of a man being assaulted by guards at the club Burning Sun, which Seungri was known as an executive director of. What most people did not see coming at the time was the shocking unveiling of numerous criminal activities that have been taking place for years and involving many individuals including top celebrities, powerful figures, the police, and more. Some of the suspected crimes include prostitution mediation, filming and circulation of illegal hidden camera footage, drug usage, bribing the police, gambling, and tax evasion.
This outbreak of events has become known as “Burning Sun Gate,” and over 50 days have now passed since its beginning.
Here are some of the key figures who have played a large part in this series of incidents:
– Booked on charges of violating the law on prostitution mediation and other related actions
– Resigned as executive director of Burning Sun
– Left BIGBANG and announced retirement from entertainment industry on March 11
Yoo In Suk
– Seungri’s business partner who worked with him on several businesses including Burning Sun
– Husband of actress Park Han Byul
– Revealed as influential figure in chatroom
– Acquainted with police officer “Yoon”
– Lost position as CEO of Yuri Holdings on March 15
– Booked on charges of filming and spreading illegal hidden camera footage
– Announced retirement from entertainment industry on March 13
– Not a member of group chatroom
– Received illegal hidden camera footage sent to him by Jung Joon Young and participated in inappropriate conversations
– Left Highlight on March 14
– Being investigated for sharing illegal hidden camera footage
– Under suspicion of using connections to cover up drunk driving incident from 2016
– Left FTISLAND and announced retirement from entertainment industry on March 14
CNBLUE’s Lee Jong Hyun
– Left group chatroom several years ago
– Watched illegal hidden camera footage sent to him by Jung Joon Young and participated in inappropriate conversations
– Former employee of Burning Sun
– Set up hidden cameras for filming illegal footage
Lee Moon Ho
– CEO of Burning Sun
– Status changed to suspect after testing positive in drug test
– Defended himself and Seungri from controversies
Senior Superintendent Police Officer “Yoon”
– Acquainted with Yoo In Suk
– Booked for suspicion of covering up criminal activities of members in chatroom
SBS funE Reporter Kang Kyung Yoon
– Reporter who released the first reports suggesting Seungri taking part in prostitution mediation and about his participation in a chatroom with other celebrities sharing illegal hidden camera footage
Lawyer Bang Jung Hyun
– Lawyer who sent the KakaoTalk conversation data to the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission on behalf of the original whistleblower
Timeline of Key Events
Here is a breakdown of some of the major incidents that have occurred:
– MBC’s “News Desk” reveals CCTV footage of a man being assaulted by security guards at Burning Sun. Later in the week, Yang Hyun Suk and Seungri apologize for the controversy but deny Seungri’s involvement in the incident.
– SBS funE shares messages exchanged between Seungri, “C” (later revealed to be Choi Jong Hoon), Yoo In Suk, and Burning Sun employee “Kim.” The messages suggest that Seungri lobbied to investors and offered sexual favors as bribes.
– Seungri completes his first round of police questioning from February 27 through 28.
– YG Entertainment announces that Seungri will cancel all upcoming scheduled activities.
– SBS funE reveals that the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission procured the original copy of the messages. The person who reported the messages did not send them to the police as there are suspicions of connections with the police.
– YG Entertainment confirms that Seungri will be enlisting as an active duty soldier on March 25.
– MBC shares evidence that Seungri played a large role in the formation of Burning Sun.
– Seungri is booked on charges of violating the law on the punishment of prostitution mediation and other related actions.
– SBS funE reports that Seungri and two other male celebrities shared illegal hidden camera footage in a chatroom.
– Seungri announces his retirement from the entertainment industry.
– Jung Joon Young is reported as one of the celebrities who shared illegal hidden camera footage.
– The original reporter of the chatroom, Kang Kyung Yoon, denies Lee Hong Ki’s involvement.
– Kang Kyung Yoon, as well as Dispatch, deny rumors of various female celebrities being victims of the hidden camera footage. Agencies of female celebrities who were mentioned in the false rumors announce that strong legal action will be taken.
– Jung Joon Young is booked on charges of spreading illegal hidden camera footage.
– SBS reports more content from the chatroom with Jung Joon Young including discussion of criminal acts.
– FNC Entertainment denies Lee Jong Hyun and Choi Jong Hoon being involved in the group chatrooms.
– Jung Joon Young admits to his crimes in a letter of apology.
– MAKEUS Entertainment terminates Jung Joon Young’s exclusive contract.
– YG Entertainment terminates Seungri’s exclusive contract.
– Lawyer Bang Jung Hyun, who sent the KakaoTalk conversation data to the Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission on behalf of the original whistleblower, reveals possible ties that the chatroom members had with the police. The Commissioner General of the Korean National Police Agency confirms contents of the message that suggest connections.
– Choi Jong Hoon admits to a drunk driving incident from 2016 but denies using a connection with the police to cover it up as reported previously. SBS shares messages exchanged between Choi Jong Hoon, Seungri, and more which suggest that connections were used to cover up the incident.
– Yong Junhyung announces his departure from Highlight and explains his messages with Jung Joon Young.
– New reports reveal messages showing evidence of Seungri engaging in habitual gambling abroad and providing sexual escort services to his business partner.
– SBS unveils explicit one-on-one conversations exchanged between Jung Joon Young and Lee Jong Hyun. The next day, FNC Entertainment releases an official statement of apology on behalf of Lee Jong Hyun regarding the conversations.
– “2 Days & 1 Night” announces an indefinite hiatus following Jung Joon Young’s removal.
– FNC Entertainment denies rumors of Lee Jong Hyun sexually harassing and sexually assaulting women in the past and announces that legal action will be taken.
– Lee Moon Ho defends himself and Seungri from controversies.
– Though not directly related to this case, Cha Tae Hyun and Kim Joon Ho step down from all shows after news of them participating betting large sums of money while playing golf gets revealed while investigating Jung Joon Young’s phone.
– Jung Joon Young completes his second round of police questioning, and the police announce that an arrest warrant will be requested for him.
– Seungri submits official request to postpone his military enlistment.
– President Moon Jae In orders thorough investigations of controversies.
– SBS releases phone interview with Choi Jong Hoon from March 2 when he talked about his ties to Senior Superintendent “Yoon.”
– Request is submitted to court to issue arrest warrants for Jung Joon Young, Mr. Kim, and Mr. Jang, Burning Sun’s director from the initial assault case.
– Media outlet Sisa Journal releases an exclusive report of Seungri’s interview where he denies allegations of providing prostitution services and traveling overseas to gamble.
– The police receive a testimony about Seungri’s alleged drug use from a source at Burning Sun.
– Seungri is reported to have known about a minor entering Burning Sun, and further chatroom logs show a conversation about potentially bribing the police in regards to the illegal business practices of Seungri’s club Monkey Museum.
– Yoo In Suk issues a statement denying allegations that he received tips from “Yoon” about a police crackdown on Monkey Museum, and claims that the reported KakaoTalk conversations were jokes or false.
– Seungri’s military enlistment is officially postponed.
– SBS’s “8 O’Clock News” questions the validity of former Yuri Holdings CEO Yoo In Suk’s written apology after revealing past interview with the former CEO.
– Jung Joon Young stands in front of press before his interrogation at court and admits to all charges.
– Choi Jong Hoon is booked for trying to bribe a police officer to cover up a drunk driving incident in 2016.
– Seungri’s lawyer denies all allegations made against the singer in a new interview.
– Jung Joon Young is arrested.
– Seungri admits prior knowledge of Monkey Museum’s illegal operations.
– Jung Joon Young is reported to have wiped data before submitting one of his three phones.
– Seungri personally addresses various allegations in an interview.
– Ji Chang Wook’s agency denies rumors of the actor being linked to Burning Sun investor “Madame Lin” following a photo of them being used on SBS’s “Unanswered Questions.” SBS also clarifies that use of the photo was not suggesting his involvement.
– Jung Joon Young, Seungri, and Choi Jong Hoon are booked for additional charges of sharing illegally filmed videos and photos.
– Seungri admits to spreading illegally filmed footage but denies taking it.
– MBC reports that there are eight singers in group chatrooms with Jung Joon Young in which illegally filmed videos were shared, including “singer K” and “singer J.” Other members also include “model L.”
– The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency holds a press conference and reveals several new details. The police acquire a testimony about an instance when Seungri mediated prostitution and also book him and Yoo In Suk for embezzling funds of the club Monkey Museum. Senior Superintendent Yoon is booked for receiving bribes from Seungri. Choi Jong Hoon is also booked for filming a sex video without consent.
– Roy Kim is booked on charges of spreading illegally taken photos.
– Eddy Kim is revealed to have been in a group chat together with Jung Joon Young, Seungri, Choi Jong Hoon, Roy Kim, Lee Jong Hyun, Kangin, Jeong Jinwoon, and Yong Junhyung. Mystic Entertainment confirms that Eddy Kim was in the chatroom and has already undergone questioning by the police, but denies that he was involved in the filming or spreading of any illegal footage.
– Seungri is questioned for suspicions of destroying evidence.
– Seungri is reportedly involved in the management of club Burning Sun.
– Seungri is accused of founding a shell corporation in Hong Kong.
– Roy Kim and Eddy Kim admit to sharing illegally taken photos, and Choi Jong Hoon admits to filming illegally taken footage.
– Seungri and Yoo In Suk are booked on suspicions of embezzling funds from Burning Sun.
– Police secure testimony that sexual activity occurred between a female escort and a man at Seungri’s birthday party in Palawan. The next day, police find records of Seungri paying female escorts who attended the party.
– Jung Joon Young is indicted with detention for the violation of the Special Act on Punishment of Sexual Crimes while Choi Jong Hoon, Roy Kim, and Eddy Kim are forward to the prosecution.
– A woman testifies that she was sexually assaulted by five members of the chatroom, including Jung Joon Young and Choi Jong Hoon. She stated that she found out about the assault after the group chatroom conversations were reported in the news, and she plans to file a lawsuit.
– KBS reports on conversations in the chatroom at the time of the alleged assault. Choi Jong Hoon denies that he engaged in sexual activity with her.
– A woman comes forward with testimony about alleged sexual assault by Mr. Kim at a gathering overseas attended by Seungri, Roy Kim, Yoo In Suk, and more.
– Arrest warrant with detention is issued for Burning Sun CEO Lee Moon Ho, who is suspected of drug use and dealing. Requested warrant for employee Anna is dismissed.
This timeline will be updated continuously as the stories progress.
Top left and right photo credit: Xportsnews